Sunday, March 04, 2007

The Weigh In: Part Five/Six Months!/Tooth Number Four/Trip to Dominican Republic/Fattening Up!/New Friend

Wow! So much has happened since I last blogged! I will try to capture as much as I can...I'm working on only a few hours of sleep!

On February 23rd I took Truman to his 6 month appointment. I was a little upset to find out that Truman lost 1/2 a pound. I know that this does not seem like much at all (and I had suspected that he had not gained much weight), but I never thought he would have lost weight! At the same time he grew 3 cm in length and is now 70cm! 90 percentile for length, 22nd for weight! The Dr. isn't worried about his weight loss, so I am not going to worry either. I am just so happy that I started him on solids early! To think I may have been starving my child.

February 24th we left for the Caribbean and arrived in Punta Cana in the late evening. Truman only got a little upset on the flight down, being that it was a few hours past his bedtime. The drive to our hotel was rather rough and difficult without a car seat, although we managed quite well under the circumstances. It was glorious to be in the warm temperatures! We were so happy to get to our room, we quickly unpacked, ordered room service and went to bed.

The next morning we woke up early to check out the resort and of course grab some breakfast. We also went to find Wawa and David to say hello. We travelled to Punta Cana with both sets of parents which proved to be very helpful and a lot of fun having everyone around. The grounds were beautiful and very well maintained. We had banana trees growing right outside our window! The beach was breathtaking! Truman loved playing in, or rather eating the sand. He was a little bit afraid of the waves in the ocean and cried every time we brought him in the water. We spent most days by the pool as it was just so much easier with the little one. Besides, Truman preferred the pool water and each of us had so much fun taking him in.

We easily got ourselves into a routine and our days looked a little like this. Truman would wake up early every morning and as I would feed him, Jerry or my father would get our regular spot at the pool. We would then either try to get Truman to go back to sleep, or go for breakfast and then try to get Truman to go down for a nap. Truly, Jerry and I wanted to sleep in and this was the only way to get a few more hours of sleep. Not that we should complain, as we were in our room by 9pm at the latest every evening and usually asleep shortly after that....but we were on vacation and enjoyed a little sleep in! We would play by the pool, take a dip or two in the pool, and then gorge ourselves at lunch with delicious treats. We would return to the pool for a few more hours of sun and fun. Then, every afternoon, Jerry, Truman and I would take a walk on the beach and go for cappuccinos in the lobby bar (Starbucks could be in trouble if Bahia Principie decided to serve their coffee as a large franchise operation!). We would head back to the room and to get ready for dinner and gorge ourselves again. The food was excellent, and I would not be surprised if we all gained some weight. But, we couldn't help ourselves...delish!

While we were away, Truman turned 6 months! I can't believe half a year has already gone by already! On his 6 month birthday Truman cut his fourth tooth, again on the bottom. He was a little upset that day. Well, actually he screamed quite a bit and I wasn't sure why - I looked in his mouth and pop! another tooth! Is this really happening? Four teeth already! The next day, Truman was his happy, flirty self. We were happy that the pain did not last too long. Truman has also learned to sit quite well on his own, he does on occasion slouch over to one side. He has however, learned to bend and reach for a toy and then sit up. He marvelled at himself doing this over and over and over again one afternoon. He has also really mastered saying "ba" and "ma" and has been looking rather determined to try to communicate with us. Hmm, I wonder what he is trying to say?

I also think that over the last week Truman has put on some weight (hooray!). His arms and legs look a lot thicker which I am very happy about. We were feeding him cereal three times a day while away. Which, believe me is not easy when you realize you have a limited supply of ready-made formula with you! We thankfully had just enough. I can't get over how much the little man LOVES food. I can't wait to try new foods now that we are back.

We left our resort yesterday in the early evening (so sad). Jerry held him in the Baby Bjorn and both boys were loving all the attention they were receiving. Truman would giggle and laugh and anyone who would make eye contact. As we were boarding the plane, I took him in the carrier and he fell asleep and stayed asleep until about a half hour before we landed. What an angel, really. When we disembarked, Truman again became a little flirt and was so happy to be around all the people. He fell asleep as soon as we got him in his car seat and slept until early this morning. He's been a little off today (can we blame him, I'm a little off too). We are really going to miss spending time with Jerry this week and we'll just have to look forward to next weekend when we'll have more time together again!

While we were away, Ben and Stephanie had a little boy - Dashiell Carter. We want to wish the Thornton's congratulations and we are looking forward to meeting the newest member of your family!







No comments: