Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Who's Not Feeling Well?

Tuesday morning I get the call at work....the one from the frantic day care worker asking me to pick up my child as soon as possible because he has been throwing up all morning. Tuesday morning I had some important HR business to attend to, something that was urgent and could not wait. Jerry was expected in court and he too could not leave work. When I finally got to the day care it was close to 11am and for the first time in a long time I felt guilty. I felt guilty for not leaving work sooner to pick up my son. The guilt came to me as I entered the classroom and saw the look on the teacher's faces. Here, is when being a working mom becomes difficult. I am torn between my career and my child. Truman can't go back to school for 48 hours, so finding alternate child care can sometimes be a challenge. Luckily, Jerry took today off to be with him, and I have arranged to be home tomorrow. The only problem now is the illness has passed on to Jerry, and I am sure that I am next. And now I wait to pay my visit to the toilet.

Let me tell you that cleaning up vomit when you have run out of paper towel is not the most enjoyable job, especially when your dog is trying to eat it! Yikes! Truman had never thrown up before, let alone spit up. We have been lucky up until now. I think the poor thing was frightened when it happened. At least we have not had another episode since yesterday evening and he seems almost back to his normal self. I truly felt like a mom yesterday, and was wearing my badge proudly. I even made chicken soup from scratch to which my son turned up his nose.


Here is a cute pic of Truman and his best friend Jake from last weekend. Truman kept trying to pull Jake's thumb out of his mouth so he could give him a kiss. The two of them loved having Ryan pull them around in their makeshift train. Too adorable!

No comments: