Thursday, June 14, 2007

After Nine Consecutive Rounds.....

The winner in the feather weight division, is Truman Frederick Topolski!!!! If you think he looks bad, you should see the other baby!

On a serious note, yesterday morning I noticed that Truman's eye was a little red and puffy. I was a bit concerned because the swelling happened over night. Truman and I had plans to meet Bronna and Macayla at the zoo and we decided to go anyways. While at the zoo, Truman's eye seemed to get a little better, but I still wanted to make an appointment to see our doctor. I called as soon as they opened at noon and scheduled to go in later in the afternoon. As the day progressed, his eye seemed to get worse. However, Truman was his usual happy self! We saw the doctor and the first thing he did was check his temperature, he was running a slight fever. Dr. Gelman was concerned that Truman had periorbital cellulitis, although he said this condition was rare he felt that we should go to emergency right away. If left untreated, the infection could spread to his eye (and effect his vision) and possibly his brain. I asked him where I should take the Tdot...he suggested North York General or SickKids, and then he retracted his statement and said we should go to SickKids. Thank goodness my father was with me today, or I would have been a complete wreck driving downtown. As soon as we got to the hospital, the triage nurse told us that we should expect to stay overnight and that he would most likely be given IV antibiotics, which is exactly what Dr. Gelman told me. The wait was what killed us the most! Hours upon hours! Jerry and I ran into an old friend at HSC...Lindsay, who is an RT there. It was nice catching up with her! After about 5 plus hours we finally saw the doctor. He examined our little one and gave us his diagnosis (which was periorbital cellulitis)and wrote up a script for a very strong dose of antibiotics. We were thankful, that Truman did not have to have an IV and that we could give him the medication orally and we were able to go home.

Truman is in great spirits today, mommy is still very worried and hopefully the drugs will kick in quickly and his swelling will go down.




2 comments:

Misty said...

Poor little guy :(
I'm glad he is in good spirits though.

Stephanie said...

So sorry to hear the little guys is sick - give him lots of hugs from us.