Saturday, January 16, 2010

Six Months and an Offering to an Elephant

How is it possible that Oliver is already six months? On Wednesday I took Olie to his well baby check-up and he weighs in at 17lbs 3oz (50th percentile) and is 68 cm in length (70th percentile). We now don't have to go back until he is nine months when he will be such a different baby, doing so many different things. I am so curious to learn more about him and watch his personality take shape.
I am positive that Oliver is teething, as he has not been the easiest baby over the past week. He is a little more cranky than usual, which I am not use to. Although, it brought back memories of my dear Truman and how challenging he could be at times.
In the food department, Truman was a champ. He ate well from the first day that we introduced solids and was always willing and eager to try anything that I put in front of him. Oliver, on the other hand is not enjoying the sensation of eating at all. We have tried rice cereal, oatmeal and carrots. Oliver becomes frustrated quickly and often needs to be distracted in order to get a mere spoonful in his mouth. The only time he is more willing to try is when Truman offers him the spoon. I will give it another go tomorrow, and if it still isn't going well, I'll stop and try again in another week.

On a very positive note, Truman gave up his soothers when we returned from Disney. Jerry and I were planning on this and thought it would be a good time for Truman to say good-bye. He was only using them at night and at school he hadn't used them at nap time since he was about 18 months. Jerry and I were anticipating a horrible reaction. Of course, whenever we anticipate things to be difficult, they often are not. So, when we returned from Disney, and Truman asked for his soothers for bed we told them that we left the soothers for the baby elephants at Disney. The first night was a little difficult (no crying however) but he has been amazing ever since. He even asked me if Oliver will give his soothers to the elephants when he is older!

No comments: