Thursday, August 16, 2007

A Trip to Boston, Walking, and a New Molar!

Saturday morning we began our Boston adventure. We did however go to Tim Horton's with Emily, Mark and Grace before driving to Buffalo. Truman really wanted to have one last date with Grace before he left for a few days! The drive to the Buffalo airport was long and painful...at one point we thought we were going to miss our flight. Luckily there was little traffic at the border and we had a little less than an hour at the airport. We flew to Boston on a tiny propeller plane (Dash 8 aircraft). Truman was great on the flight and he insisted that we read him book after book after book!

We arrived in Boston fairly painlessly and because of my mommy craziness, I refused to take a taxi to the hotel (because there were no car seats) and insisted that we take a subway. I can't tell you how many stairs we had to climb while carrying our luggage and Truman in his stroller. I thought Jerry was going to kill me! But, at least we got a great workout in!

On Sunday morning, Truman decided he was ready to walk! He would just let go of my hands and walk! It was such a proud mommy moment for me! Now, he wants to walk everywhere! After practising walking we began our day of sight seeing. We decided that the best way to see Boston was to walk the city and explore. We headed to Harvard first to show Truman where he will be going to university, specifically Harvard Law School (but really Truman, no pressure!). What an amazing campus! Although I think Western was as close to an "American" type campus as it gets...it was NOTHING like Harvard. WOW!

We then headed to Quincey Market/Faneuil Hall to check things out. I was a little disappointed in the lack of chachkas and the more mainstream type stores....does there have to be a GAP everywhere? We then decided to walk back to our hotel, but to take a long, walk to tour the city. We walked part of the Freedom Trail, Boston Commons, and then down Newbury street.

Monday we took Truman on his first train ride to Salem! I have never seen Jerry so excited to visit a place! We went on a witch tour and went into about a dozen cheesy shops. We visited the cemetery and the oldest candy store in America! Unfortunately, we missed our "spell castings" tour, Truman was really looking forward to learning some spells to teach his friends at day care. I tried to get a picture of a witch, but I could not catch one on film.


I noticed on Saturday morning that Truman had something white poking out of his gums near the back of his mouth. I touched the area and felt something quite sharp. OMG! Truman was getting a molar! It didn't seem to bother him too much, but on Tuesday night he woke up at 4am and would not stop screaming. I tried to console him as much as possible, and we gave him some Tylenol and then he finally fell asleep (on me, and I think I drooled on his head!). Poor thing! I am so happy that his pain only lasted one night! For both our sakes.




After a nice swim on Wednesday morning, we wanted to see some more of Boston, and do some more touristy type things. We first headed to the Boston aquarium. We saw three types of penguins, seals, sharks, turtles and many, many fish! Truman had a great time looking into the tanks and trying to touch the fish. He also enjoyed walking everywhere and would fight Jerry and I when we would try to put him back in his stroller. Our little one is definitely exerting his independence!
We then headed to Fenway Park to take a look at the baseball stadium. There was a game on when we got there, but because we had the stroller, we didn't attempt to go in to watch. It was too bad, but when Truman goes to Harvard we'll have many chances to catch a game!
Wednesday night we met up with Erin for dinner as she has been working in Boston for the last 6 months. It was a great meal, and Truman was a complete gentleman, despite all the food he had on his face and hands!














No comments: